Friday, October 18, 2013

IEP Meeting Collaborating as a Team~DS Education & Awareness Day #18




In honor of Down syndrome "Education" & Awareness Month -today is Day 18- I Advocated for a sweet little 6 year old that needs her school to "do the right things" for her to progress academically during this school year. 

I surprised the mom, telling her I would attend the IEP this morning with her. In honor of DS Awareness month, I wanted to Help Educate & Advocate for her little Sweetie-Pie. I wanted to help make sure everyone was on board with BELIEVING IN HER ABILITIES!! 

I love my Lil Peeps with Down syndrome!!!

Happy Day 18 of Down syndrome month!

Update:
Meeting went well at this school! At first it was edgy....but felt more 'collaborative' as we went along...as it should be. It felt like we were all working as a team for this little funny-silly-always moving little girl. There didn't seem to be that 'rush' to push thru and get this meeting on-n-over with so quickly. Mom said she thought it was only going to be a meeting for just 30 minutes or maybe up to an hour. The meeting moved forward fairly smoothly as we all worked collaboratively for close to 4 HOURS together! Having good discussions updating and doing things a little differently than usual...because this was an IEP meeting that Mom had requested to have, to discuss concerns she has for her daughter's education. 

This mommie reached out to me during an ESE Advisory Council Meeting asking "if and can they do" questions she was dealing with at her daughter's school. I met this little "punkin girl" and of course I saw all the wonderful things she was doing and how happy and active she was! ....WOW what a little talker she is too! I was VERY IMPRESSED with how well she talked to me and responded to all my questions I asked her! 

Nothing better than reaching out to another parent of a daughter (or son) with Down syndrome too! Another parent that fully understands her very real concerns for her daughter's academic education. Mom was getting discouraged when she noticed her daughter's IEP goals and things written into her IEP document was never changing and always seemed to say the exact same thing year after year. 

This was my first meeting attending with this mom and the grandmother at this school. I know they were very appreciative that I 'showed up' to help out!

BTW the front office at this school was decorated so amazing for the Month of October! Two scarecrows, lots of pumpkins, fall leaves, black cats, spiders and lots of orange twinkle lights! This made the school office FUN to come into and felt VERY warm and friendly and absolutely welcoming! This place gets high marks for atmosphere making you feel glad to be there. Made you SMILE when you walked into this school! The fall decorations were a perfect picture opportunity before we left the school. One couldn't resist wanting to take a few quick pictures in that school front office. 

Happy Down syndrome Education & Awareness Month!


October 18th, 2013









*Should I say the name of the school?
Would the school be OK with it if I did?

*I have permission to post pictures of this sweetie lil punkin face!!



No comments:

Post a Comment